[NBLUG/talk] rpm question

ME dugan at passwall.com
Tue Dec 2 18:11:02 PST 2003

Todd Cary said:
> I am running Fedora with Apache and php.  Unfortunately, php does not
> include the Interbase library.  To correct this, I downloaded the
> lastest php (php-4.3.4.tar) and did the following:
>
> ./configure --with-interbase=/opt/interbase --with-apxs2

Create a php file called "phpinfi.php" and locate within a php executable
web space and access it. Have the file include the following contents:
-------------------------------- begin cut below here ---------
<?php

phpinfo();

?>
--------------------- end cut above here ----------------------
The resulting web page should provide you with you with a table roe called
"Configure Command " that will tell you how the packaged php was
configuredbefore being made.

> This works fine, but I have a concern that the above compiled version
> may not have the libraries that are part of the Fedora version.

See above.

> Is there any way to check what will be included before I do the make and
> install?

There are files created after the config process (check date stamp) that
will include what things were (or would be) enabled.

> And will this effect my up2date process since the version of php will
> not be the same as the one currently installed and on the list of
> installed rpm.  Some time ago I really messed up my RH when I installed
> Ximian - up2date would not wor

Once you choose to go with a hand configured source build instead of a
package, then there is risk that future updates to the packaged php (if
left installed) will alter the package installed apache config to have
apache use the old php.

You will also need to be the one to keep up to date with new versions of
php and security risks.

You should also *not* make and install your hand configured source of php
over the packaged one or else your hand built copy may be overwritten with
an install of a packaged one. For this reason non-packaged buuild are
generally installed in other spaces such as "/usr/local" or "/opt" (I use
/usr/local)

to use a non-packagespace use the --prefix option for configuring php
(--prefix=/usr/local)

Also, if you uninstall the packaged php, you may need to manually
configure your own httpd.conf to work with php.

If much of what is tsated here is new to you, you have some reading to do.

-ME