[NBLUG/talk] Video 4 Linux -- works!

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Mon Jun 2 06:24:01 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 05:59:06PM -0700, Scott Doty wrote re: "kino":
> So I'd say there's something wrong with the V4L interface in this version...
> bummer!

I found an editor that can do simple edits on divx4 video without
decompressing/recompressing.  It's called "avidemux".

  http://freshmeat.net/projects/avidemux/?topic_id=256

     About:
     Avidemux is a graphical tool to edit video. It can open AVI, MPEG,
     Nuppelvideo and BMPs. Most common codecs are supported (M-JPEG, MPEG,
     DivX, Xvid, huffyuv, WMA, etc.) thanks to libavcodec. Video can be
     edited, cut, appended, filtered (resize/crop/denoise), and re-encoded
     to either AVI (DivX/Xvid) or MPEG 1/2.

This means I can record compressed (using divx4), and then hack the
resulting video into their individual programs.  Slicing out commercials is
no sweat, too.

Also, while installing Cinelerra and Kino, I ended up with a set of
"avitools" -- one is called "avicat", which is useful for splicing two avi's
into one.

Finally, a guy that I've been talking with on irc was surprised that 30
minutes of video was taking up .25 gigs.  Apparently this is due to storing
uncompressed audio -- after installing mp3lame and recompiling
mplayer/mencoder, I can now store the audio as mp3.  I can also limit the
bitrate of the lavc codecs...here is the command line to accomplish that:

   mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:width=320:height=200:input=1:norm=NTSC:adevice=/dev/dsp \
        -o $1 -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=500

Thank you all for the help I received on the list!  And thanks, Mark!

 -Scott