[NBLUG/talk] recommendations for distro

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Fri Nov 21 08:42:00 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:16:15PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2003 19:04, Kevin Dwan wrote:
> > I don't have any particular focus for using Linux. On Windows, I
> > use Borland'sJBuilder to code Java, and Delphi.
>
> No focus.... no help.  Development tools...  IDE's for Linux -  Kylix from
> Borland, Kdevelop, Anjuta, Komodo.

Don't forget JBuilder for Linux or the Eclipse Java IDE.  (Heck, try Eclipse
on Windows, too...)

> > Red Hat says the  download is 650MB
> that's per CD... and you need 3 for the install... buy a box set... if you
> can.  Red Hat has stopped shipping a retail product as they are concentrating
> on the enterprise server realm.

Except, RH9's support ends this spring (no more security fixes).  For the RH
line, I'd either go with Fedora (think of it as RH10, only not) or the
enterprise workstation, depending on needs and budget...  Both Fedora and
RHEL WS have recently had releases (Fedora most recently).  Unfortunately,
Fedora's only available by downloading some large files.  You can probably
find some nice NBLUG member that'd be willing to burn the Fedora discs for a
small amount per disc.

(RHEL WS is $179/yr or $299/yr.  179 gets you downloads and updates.  299
gets you actual media sent to you, an actual printed install manual, and a 4
hour SLA for phone support.  Not worth it for most NBLUG members, but that
or one of the server products (with support) might make sense if you've got
business depending on the Linux box keeping running.  Otherwise Fedora or
Debian or ...)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large