[NBLUG/talk] SIOCSUFFLAGS: Device or resource busy

Jeff Hemminger jeff at dreadidread.homelinux.org
Tue Sep 16 08:46:01 PDT 2003

ME wrote:

>Is this a PCMCIA NIC?

[jeff]: no this is a pc nic, more specifically a trendnet TE100-pciwn

>You can get this error when trying to down an interface if an application
>still has open connections.
>
>You can sometimes get an error like this if the interface is already up
>
>ifup and ifdown are applications / scripts that do many of the tedious
>network things for you. Try doing it all by hand:
># ifconfig eth0 down
>(now see if it is there:)
># ifconfig | grep eth0
>(if you do not see it, that is good news so far.)

[jeff]: yes it's good to here, I brought down eth0 and I couldn't see
anything w/ ifconfig | grep eth0

># ifconfig eth0 up
>(now see if it is in the list)

[jeff]: I get SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy when I type this

># ifconfig | grep eth0
>(if you see it, then good news)

[jeff]: nothing here
[jeff]: I'm using DHCP

>#### If you use DHCP to get network information:
># dhclient eth0
>(or if you use pump, then)
># pump -i eth0
>(or if you use another dhcp client then try it)

[jeff]: neither of these commands are recognized. I looked through
/usr/bin quickly, but I didn't see anything similar.

>#### Now, if you used staticly assigned IP or DHCP assigned IP, see the
>results:
># ifconfig eth0
>(Do you see the IP address and Subnet mask included in the list?)
># route -N

[jeff]: The only thing I see from route -N is this:
Destination            Gateway            Genmask         Flags
Metric   Ref      Use Iface
127.0.0.0               0.0.0.0             255.0.0.0         U
0            0         0     lo

>Perhaps if we see where it is failing, we can make more suggestions.

[jeff]: let me know if I can provide more info. I really appreciate the
help! Haven't seen this one before.

Jeff