[NBLUG/talk] Changed Network

Micxz at Slashdomain micxz at slashdomain.com
Thu Apr 29 22:07:24 PDT 2004

> I'd programmed both routers with the nameservers but only the nearest one
> has DHCP active. The far router uses static IPs for the near router. That
> network is actually only for routers and not for hosts, although I can
> plug my laptop in there, reconfigure a little and test connections and the
> far router configuration. I hadn't known for some reason until recently
> that DHCP could pass on nameserver information (don't know where I missed
> that little tidbit).

This confused me one day when some of the comcast name servers simply
stopped responding. After a couple calls to support they told me that
the name servers IPs changed every so often. And I needed to get the
current IPs from DHCP. I thought they would be static so I hard coded
them into resolv.conf instead of letting the network scripts do it for
me. Maybe sonic does the same thing? But why the windows computers
resolved with the old IPs, I don't know.

--
Micxz

note: DHCP spits out IP, Gateway and DNS if setup correctly