[NBLUG/talk] hard drive death, filesystem types

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 16 20:18:41 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 18:55 -0800, Bob Blick wrote:
> So I'm looking at filesystem types for my new Seagate drive.
> Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards ext2 since there are proven
> tools for it, and this computer is running on a UPS so it's not
> likely to get turned off accidentally.

You might as well go with ext3, since it's backwards-compatible with
ext2 (i.e. any data recovery tools that work with ext2 will also work
with ext3).

> Any comments about filesystems?
> Any help for rescuing my reiserfs disk?

Did you try:
reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/[your hard disk]

(You may want to back up as much readable data from the hard disk as you
possibly can ahead of time, as per the advice of the man page.)

Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness.
		-- Aristotle