[NBLUG/talk] Re Installing kernel RPM update

HarryH forHarryH at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 11 15:16:02 PST 2004

Hi,
Back on December 25, I did a "up2date -u" from the Red Hat Network for a kernel update to my 7.2 machine.  The up2date process did not go to total completion, that is it could not run a "sh /sbin/grubby" as I had run out of "/"  directory space and it could not get to /sbin.  I can tell by looking at /boot that not all is completed.  That problem is now fixed.  I just tried to re-update the kernel with a "rpm -Uvh package name" (same package and version) and it complained that the existing kernel files conflict with the fresh rpm package.  I tried to use the -F option but that did absolutely nothing.  Do I need to use the "-i" option in order to force the rpm to overlay the unsuccessful prior install?  Or, should I use the "-e" to try and back it out first?  The best I can tell, the machine is running on the prior version of the kernel.

Any info appreciated,
Harry