[NBLUG/talk] Re Installing kernel RPM update

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Mon Jan 12 08:19:00 PST 2004

Just to be safe.  Let's see what RPM has to say about what kernel versions you
have installed.  We trust that the machine crashed when the new kernel was
being installed and the whole package was not completed.

Do an     rpm -q kernel

tell us the output.

If it shows you have two or more kernel's installed ... which it will....

I would do an:  rpm -e kernel-2.4.20-27.7....rpm   Then do an:

rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.20-27.7....rpm

If you feel daring....
NOTE, I do not recommend this when you don't know exactly what you are
doing.... but I have done it before.

Do an rpm -ivh --force kernel-2.4.20-27.7....rpm

This will overwrite the partially installed kernel and not complain that some
of the files already exist.  rpm should automatically UPdate grub.conf for
you, check and see if it does after you do the install.

There are a couple of options to rpm that can get you into trouble and --force
is one of them.  I won't say the other one....

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer