[NBLUG/talk] SSH authenticating problem with NIS

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Jan 12 11:04:00 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 07:11:46AM -0500, Murdock, Matt wrote:
} I have found serveral articls regarding this on google, but no answers. The
} problem, SSH users passwd's are not being authenticated by NIS. I am using
} RH9.0 Server and Clients. We are using standard password and shadow
} mechanism. We are not using broadcast on the clients for NIS, it is a direct
} query from the /etc/yp.conf file.
} 	I can use telnet, and NIS authenticates correctly. The problem is
} the way SSh is trying to lookup the password (at least from what I can
} tell). Any ideas?

Just a data point:  I'm logging into RedHat machines with ssh with NIS
authentication.  It works with redhat 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, and 9.  The NIS
server is HP-UX.  I do not have shadow passwords or MD5 passwords
enabled.  It looks like NIS broadcast is turned on.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com