[NBLUG/talk] NBLUG Video

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Mon Jan 12 12:17:01 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:02:33PM -0800, E Frank Ball wrote:
> VCD would be good.  My old Pioneer DVD player from '99 can play
> VCDs, so I'd think most can.  I don't know if DVD-R will work.

My old DVD player can also play VCDs, but not *burned* VCDs.  (or burned CDs
of any kind)  That's because the CD and DVD standards have different laser
frequencies and burned CDs depend on the frequency being the same (since
they use dye instead of pits).

(In other words, I'm voting for DVD-R.)

Isn't VCD just an ISO09660 CD with some regular MPEG-1 files and a few extra
bits to make it so the players can find everything?   (in other words, if
you don't have a specialized player, can't most computers play the files?)

I definitely agree that for me, it'd be nicer to play it on components that
output to my television than on a computer.
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large