[NBLUG/talk] Moving permissions

troy fryman at sonic.net
Tue Jan 20 13:48:00 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 01:23:25PM -0800, Dustin Mollo wrote:
> ...just because you remember *today* what changes you made to a
> particular config file, doesn't mean you'll remember when you're
> trying to recover a server with 30 people breathing down your neck
> wondering when they can get to their data agin.
>
> i tend to make copies of entire directory trees, even though i may not
> have tweaked every file i'll end up backing using this method.  for
> example, backing up *all* of /etc may be overkill,

Not overkill at all!  /etc is generally so small, you may as well grab
it all.  I actually take it a step further.  For those apps (like qmail
or apache) that are often set up to store their config information in
their own directory tree somewhere, I'll add a symlink from /etc just so
I don't miss it when making a backup.  For the same reason, I might link
logs or mysql data from /var into /home.  Basically, I try to get the
system to a state such that the only thing I need to do on a backup is
grab /home and /etc

I may have mentioned it before, but I think rdiff-backup is a sweet tool
for hand-crafted backup scripts, especially for stuff like /etc/ which
might have incremental changes.  And double especially for weenies like
myself who aren't clued in to CVS yet.

-troy