[NBLUG/talk] Good anti virus, open sourrce soaftware?

HarryH forHarryH at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 21:06:01 PST 2004

Chris,
Thanks for the good info.  I will look into the ClamAV anti-virus.  I found another "free" anti-virus at astaro.com, for personal and not business use.  Have not tried it yet.

Thanks,
Harry
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Christopher Wagner
  To: 'talk at nblug.org'
  Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 11:57 AM
  Subject: RE: [NBLUG/talk] Good anti virus, open sourrce soaftware?

  ClamAV is a good anti-virus scanner that is free.  Firewalls in Linux are set-up by ipchains by default in RH 7.2.  The 'lokkit' or 'gnome-lokkit' program will allow you to set-up a basic firewall on your computer, it comes with RH 7.2 and should've been installed when the OS was installed..  There isn't any spyware that I'm aware of that's directed toward Linux, as most spyware preys on vulnerabilities in IE to implant themselves on the victim's computer.  Viruses aren't really aimed at Linux either, but it's always nice to watch all the M$ viruses get nabbed in the act.

  As far as your questions about partitions, I'm not sure I understand what you're going for.  But I'll try to clarify how the stuff works.  A single drive, single partition IDE system is like (not counting a swap partition):
  / - /dev/hda1
  - /bin
  - /etc
  - /home
  - /opt
  - /usr
  - /var
  etc...

  If you're using more than one partition on a single drive, let's say three partitions (not counting swap), you can choose what partition mounts to what directory, I choose to have /home and /usr as seperate partitions:

  / - /dev/hda1
  - /bin (hda1)
  - /etc (hda1)
  - /opt (hda1)
  - /var (hda1)
  /home - /dev/hda5 (5 is the first logical drive if partitioning in DOS compatible format)
  /usr - /dev/hda6

  The root partition (in these examples, /dev/hda1) has all the other directories placed underneath it.  The reason you don't see mount points in /etc/fstab is because they're merely subdirectories of the root partition.  A directory can be a mount point for a filesystem or just a directory off the root partition.  Linux and Unix try to make everything one "logical" filesystem.  If you want to add more directories to the second HD and have it look like:

  / - /dev/hda1
  - /bin (hda1)
  - /etc (hda1)
  - /opt (hda1)
  - /usr (hda1)
  - /var (hda1)
  /music - /dev/hdb1
  /pictures - /dev/hdb5

  I've made the /music and /pictures directories two seperate partitions on the second HD.  Another example:

  / - /dev/hda1
  - /bin (hda1)
  - /etc (hda1)
  - /opt (hda1)
  - /var (hda1)
  /home - /dev/hda5
  /usr - /dev/hda6
  /home/chrisw/music - /dev/hdb1
  /pictures - /dev/hdb5

  A directory *must* be created first for Linux to mount a partition to it.  So if you're mounting /dev/hdb1 to /music, you must *first* create an empty folder called /music in the root filesystem.

  I hope enough of that makes sense to help you. :)  Good luck.

  - Christopher Wagner
  chrisw at pacaids.com

  Packaging Aids Corporation - Information Systems
  P.O. Box 9144
  San Rafael, CA 94912-9144
  http://www.pacaids.com/
  (415) 454-4868 x116