[NBLUG/talk] Newbie questions :-)

dolo724 at softhome.net dolo724 at softhome.net
Thu Jan 29 09:11:04 PST 2004

In KDE, I use CTRL+ALT+ESC to produce a skull&crossbones icon, mouse that
over the application I want to kill, then click. Application is killed -9.

Mike

 ----Original Message Follows----
From: jgarden2000 at juno.com

If a full-screen application (like some of the games) locks up, (or at
least appears to lock up either because I can't find the right keystrokes
or it doesn't like my keyboard) how can I force-quit if I can't get to
xkill? I know how to get back to the root console, but don't know what to
do next other than try going to runlevel 3 and then back to runlevel 5,
and to reboot if that doesn't work.

Get Back to the console.
Type:   ps -ax |grep $program_name

Note: $program_name is the name of the program u were running or any text
related to the program u were running.

Take note of the PID number.
Then type:  kill PID number or kill -9 Pid number
(-9 will kill by force)

=====
there is no sig