[NBLUG/talk] Machine Check Exception?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 25 18:05:39 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 16:24, Troy Arnold wrote:
> Just because your kernel runs fine on another system doesn't mean it is
> not kernel related.  To isolate it from the OS, stick in a Knoppix CD or
> something and go stress the hell out of it.  It's certainly hot enough
> today...

Actually, I didn't completely explain what I had done.  I tried
reinstalling from a Debian/woody CD, which contains a different kernel
(it uses 2.4.18, I was using 2.6.6).  I noticed the same problem with
both kernels.

Right now, I'm running the box with the 2.6.6 kernel, trying to compile
a kernel.  Then I'll try booting from the old 2.4.18 kernel and try a
similar strenuous operation.  Unless someone can suggest something even
more strenuous...

I'll also give it a try with a Knoppix CD.

> Oh, and regarding RAM testing.  Not sure how you did it, but last year I
> ran a series of memtest86 cycles on a stick of RAM that I suspected was
> bad.  It passed.  The machine was still unstable, so I ran memtest86
> again, this time letting it cycle overnight.  About the 20-something
> iteration, the RAM started showing errors.  It was indeed bad, and a new
> stick of RAM "fixed" the machine.

I used a "CheckIt Express" boot floppy.  I'll look into memtest86,
though.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>