[NBLUG/talk] Spam issues

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed May 19 13:26:44 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:23:17AM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:05:39AM -0700, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> > On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 08:27:51AM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
> > > Someone posted about another spam filter out there, an alternative
> > > to spamassassin..  Can you please re-post the URL?
> >
> > http://crm114.sourceforge.net/ ?
> > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/ ?
> > procmail?
>

> I'm not sure if I understand your post Eric, are you suggesting just using
> procmail?

Those 3 tools are the things I could think of having been mentioned on the
list at all recently, any of which you could've possibly meant from your
message.

Mostly procmail's useful in conjunction with one or more other
spam-detection tools.  I'd never suggest trying to use it on its own for
anything beyond maybe basic blacklisting.  Personally, I use procmail to
decide what exactly should be done with mail that spamassassin has examined
(some gets the bit bucket, some goes into a "spam" mailbox and some goes
into my inbox); it's also handy for getting mailing list traffic filtered
into separate mailboxes, outright refusing messages with executable
attachments and things along those lines...
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large