[NBLUG/talk] kernel modules.

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Wed May 26 09:38:09 PDT 2004

Sorry this is late, I put it in drafts and forgot about it.  Important none
the less.

The system is behaving exactly as it should be.  Your kludge isn't totally
off.  But it may have its problems if you are running any network services
that start prior to your little script running at S99 - rc.local.

The best bet would be to 'tune' the order in which services come up for your
particular runlevel.

For your purposes you would want pcmcia services to come up before networking
comes up.  This can be useful with a laptop that is statically assigned an
IP.

With my laptops I prefer the to bring up a specific networking configuration
depending on what location I am at so I don't mind the default behavior.

System V init scripts allow you to tune when and in what order services come
up for a defined runlevel.   S for start and an integer S2, S22, S45, etc. the
system will bring services up in numerical order.

On a stock RH box pcmcia comes up at S24, networking comes up at S10... so you
see a gap there between the two, we have 5 or so services starting up
in between the two we want.

No problem.  Let's start pcmcia prior to networking coming up.... say S8 or
so.

You have two choices, either change the symbolic link in your runlevel
directories from an S24 to an S8 OR edit the init script for pcmcia... there
is a commented sequence of numbers at the top of each init script
in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ , if you take peek you will see a sequence like so...
note the chkconfig line.

# rc.pcmcia 1.39 2001/10/04 12:30:05 (David Hinds)
#
# This is designed to work in BSD as well as SysV init setups.  See
# the HOWTO for customization instructions.
# Tags for Red Hat init configuration tools
#
# chkconfig: 2345 24 96

This tells the chkconfig command to turn pcmcia on at S24 in runlevels 2345
and turn it off at K96 in runlevels 0 and 6.  Change the 24 to an 8 or
whatever you choose.  YES, chkconfig looks to this line when you use the
command from the command line.

Then re-run chkconfig on pcmcia;

chkconfig pcmcia off
chkconfgi pcmcia on

boom, next time the machine comes up pcmcia services comes up before
networking comes up.

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com