[NBLUG/talk] SSH issues

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed Oct 6 13:51:30 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 12:39:51PM -0700, A'fish'ionado wrote:
> Is there a way to simply disable the SSH server? I'm on dialup, and my
> machines are never online when I'm gone, so I'm never going to SSH
> into them.

Like the others said, the best method depends on exactly what distribution
you're running.

With Debian:
touch /etc/ssh/sshd_not_to_be_run
(tells the init script not to run sshd)

With RedHat and most distributions based on RedHat (but not necessarily all):
chkconfig --levels 123456 sshd off
(which will handle all the /etc/rc?.d things correctly for you; just
"chkconfig sshd off" is usually good enough, actually)

Or, even more distribution specific:
rpm -e openssh-server
Or maybe:
rpm -e ssh-server
(which will remove the server package, assuming it's separate from the rest
of the ssh stuff)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large