[NBLUG/talk] dist-upgrade

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 19:18:24 PDT 2006

What version are you upgrading from?

I think I remember seeing that when I tried to upgrade from an old
Sarge/testing disc straight to Etch. I was able to get around it by
changing sources.list to point at Sarge (stable), running apt-get
update && apt-get dist-upgrade, then changing sources.list to point at
testing, and running apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade again.

The upgrade to xorg is mostly painless now, but I seem to remember
that that install had some config files so old that the xorg installer
couldn't tell what to do with them. Once you're at at least the latest
stable, I'd try running dpkg-reconfigure on all the xserver/xfree86
packages to get a fresh X configuration before installing xorg. (In my
case, I just went ahead and burned a new Etch disc and reinstalled
from scratch, but I assume that you'd rather not do that.)

I hope that I haven't freaked you out now. :-)

William