[NBLUG/talk] Wierdness with fstab (on FC5) and noauto

Jeff Coffler jeff-list-nblug_talk at taltos.com
Fri Sep 1 10:22:02 PDT 2006

Hi Kyle (and others),

> I believe your issue is that the last column (pass) is set to 2. This
> column lets the system know what order it should fsck drives at boot. Since
> these drives aren't present it errors. I would recommend changing both that
> and the previous column to 0 and trying again
Correct!  I changed those numbers to zero, and it now worked (the system
came up without problem even though one of the drives wasn't in the system).

So a few more questions:

1. The behavior I want is: if the disk is in the machine, it should be
mounted.  If it's not, it shouldn't be mounted (and it shouldn't cause
the boot process to abort due to that).  Is that possible with fstab today?

2. If not, then do I need to say: "defaults,noauto" to get default
behavior except for noauto, or can I just say "noauto"?  If I can't do
#1 above, then I may just use "users" and then have a cron job try and
mount the drive if it's not currently mounted.

Thanks,

    -- Jeff