[NBLUG/talk] FTPing large files

steve smith sjs at sonic.net
Thu Jan 7 22:31:20 PST 2010

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 5:52 PM, sean machin <smachin1000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm writing a python script for my Centos server which (among other
>> things), tries to FTP a large (7GB) archive image to another server
>> across the WAN.
>> My script calls the curl program to do the upload.  Curl always seems to
>> fail after a few 100MB however.
>>

> Does FTP even work for files larger that large?  I seem to remember
> running into an issue at work where we could not upload files larger
> than a few gigabytes (can't remember the exact cut-off) via FTP due to
> some sort of 32-bit limitation.  We were using PyCurl on the client (a
> Python interface to the Curl libraries) and vsftpd on the server, both
> running RHEL 5.3.
>
> I don't remember exactly how the transfer would fail, though.

 From the FTP entry on wikipedia there used to be a 4Gb (1998) but now
file size is probably unlimited.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivial_File_Transfer_Protocol:
"The original protocol has a file size limit of 32 MB, although this was
extended when RFC 2347 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2347> introduced
option negotiation, which was used in RFC 2348
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2348> to introduce block-size negotiation
in 1998 (allowing a maximum of 4 GB and potentially higher). If the
server and client support block number wraparound, file size is
essentially unlimited."