[NBLUG/talk] FTPing large files

Andrew argonaut at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 13:57:06 PST 2010

sean machin wrote on Fri, 08 Jan 2010 08:30:47 -0800:

> I am using curl to do the FTP upload,
[snip]
> Here's a sample of the exact command I run and
> the error msg. I get.
>
> [sean at localhost ~]$ curl -T /tmp/backup/svn.tar.gz -u
> uxxxxx:xxxxx ftp://xxxxx.com/backup/home/ibmp2/svn.tar.gz
[snip]
> curl: (55) select/poll returned error

A little Googling shows you're in good company. Many others are
getting that error as well. This post suggests setting the
Transfer-Encoding to "chunked":
http://markmail.org/message/2pdplxa2a44syvrg
You do so by adding this to your invocation of cURL:
  --header "Transfer-Encoding: chunked"

Alternatively, you could try upgrading to the latest version of
cURL, which may have fixed the problem.

If that doesn't work, try a different FTP client. I suggest
lftp. It's an excellent versatile CLI app that is very
scriptable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lftp

(To clarify for those who were suggesting, for example, Wget:
Sean is trying to upload a large file, not download. I
absolutely love Wget (I like the interface better than cURL),
but it's for downloading only.)

A.