[NBLUG/talk] UEFI and CentOS installer boot parameters

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 09:47:33 PDT 2015

I have a new server that can boot in a legacy BIOS mode or a UEFI mode.  On
a server using BIOS, I can boot from a RHEL or CentOS CD or DVD and direct
it to use a kickstart file by adding something like this to the Grub
command line:

ks=http://other.server/ks.cfg

However, when I switch to UEFI mode and boot from a CentOS DVD, I can edit
the boot parameters, but the format is very different.  Most notably, the
configuration is split across multiple lines.  I can find documentation
that describes the new format, but none of it mentions kickstarts.

I've tried adding the "ks=..." to the end of the line that specifies the
kernel, but that caused a syntax error.  I then tried specifying it using
the "set" and "setparams" commands.  Neither had any effect.

Is there something else that I should be trying?

Thanks in advance.