[NBLUG/Announce] General Meeting this Tuesday: Scaled-Down Laptops - Asus EeePC and OLPC XO

Bob Blick bbblick at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 9 22:08:04 PDT 2008

Start: 2008/03/11 - 7:30pm
End: 2008/03/11 - 9:00pm
Location:
O'Reilly, Sebastopol, CA
http://nblug.org/genloc
Speakers: Brandon Williams and Allan Cecil

The Asus EeePC and the One Laptop Per Child XO are two small laptops
with very little in common. This month we have two presenters, Allan
Cecil and Brandon Williams.

Allan will talk about the One Laptop Per Child Project XO laptop, which
is technologically very unusual and supports some exciting educational
and networking applications. A mesh networking demo of multiple XOs is
planned, so if you are one of the lucky ones to already have an XO,
bring it along and join in the demo.

Brandon will be discussing the EeePC, its hardware specifications,
capabilities, the default operating system, and its great suite of open
 source software. He'll discuss some of the niche distros popping up
specifically for the EeePC, some of the popular hardware hacks floating
 around the web, and discuss some available options to the potential
buyer. We'll also hear about upcoming Ultra-Mobile Pc's, why their
popularity will continue to grow, and upcoming technology that are going
to keep making them cheaper, smaller, and more portable.