[NBLUG/Announce] General Meeting--October 14: LTSP: Raiders of the Lost Mainframe

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Wed Oct 8 12:56:41 PDT 2008

Start: 2008/10/14 - 7:30pm
End: 2008/10/14 - 9:00pm
Location:
O'Reilly, Sebastopol, CA
http://nblug.org/genloc
Speaker: Josh Dukes and Aaron Grattafiori

   In the beginning there were only the mainframes. Administration only
   required configuration of one system. Users accessed the mainframe from
   dumb terminals. Everyone had access to the same resources and had the
   same software, because everyone was on the same system. Then came the
   personal computer. Users all got their own systems, and system
   administration became exponentially more difficult. LTSP gives us a way
   to get the terminal server, singular administration and control we
   admins want and still give users the warm fuzzy interface, speed and
   freedom they want.  One system, one set of updates, one place to make
   changes. We're going to look in to some of the history of LTSP, overview
   the technology involved, and some of the many potential applications.
   Finally we'll look at the best way to implement LTSP, and how its
   working in production in our corporate environment.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org