2 macs and a linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 4 09:08:45 PDT 2000

ME wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, ME wrote:
> > Could you show us your /etc/resolve.conf?
>
> If your /etc/resolve.conf has the same IP addresses referenced for DNS as
> your other machines (Mac and PC) then also could you show us your routing
> table?
>
> # route -N

Kernel IP routing table

Destination        Gateway        Genmask         Flags    metric    ref
use    iface
127.0.0.0        0.0.0.0            255.0.0.0        U        0
0        0         lo

I am pretty sure there should be something else in there, but I am not sure
what.

Would I need a new destination?   If so, is it my ISP? 207.217.126.81 or one
of the
others.... Would it be my router? 192.168.1.1?

I think I would need a Gateway, Genmask, Flags, metric, ref, use, and an
iface,
also, right?

>  (paste the output into your reply)
>
> The reason I ask, is if your gateway on your linux box is not properly set
> up, and your DNS is off your subnet, then your machine would not be able
> to reach the DNNS for name resolution.
>
> Also, could you paste in the network settings from another machine that
> works on the your network?

These come from the macintosh TCP/IP control panel which also contains the
address of the mac, itself....... 192.168.1.2

> Subnet Mask/Netmask 255.255.255.0
> Gateway/router 192.168.1.1
> DNS (numbers)

207.217.126.81
207.217.77.82
207.217.120.83

> Then we can compare these numbers to what you have in your routing table
> for your Linux box.
>
> -ME

Thanks for your helpful questions