Modem help request

lynn sears lynn at itsquick.com
Fri Dec 15 08:29:57 PST 2000

	Hello,
I,m having an unpleasant, frustrating time trying to make a modem connect
with my ISP
I,m using RH 7.0 although I tried it on RH 6.2 also with the same
results.  I have dual boot with
windows and the modem works fine with that OS.  So , my logic is that the
modem itself is
configured correctly. I # cat /proc/pci  to reveal the modem and the port
and irq
endingup with # setserial /dev/ttyS4 uart 16550A port 0xe800 irq 11
this is same irq windows uses and windows uses com 5 hence the ttyS4
I used kppp to set up a connection-- setting modem speed etc.
the modem dials and attempts to connect then I get message that says pppd
has unexpectantly
quit (this happens after 30 seconds everytime)  I can issue AT commands to
the modem from
the kppp mini terminal and everything seems to be set properly. The
following are the error log
messages after the pppd deamon cacks..

Dec 14 16:30:58 localhost pppd (905):pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
" 	"	"  	"	"       :using interface ppp0
"	"	"	"	"       : Connect:ppp0 <- -> /dev/ttyS4
"	"          28		"       : LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
"	"          28	"	"       : Connection terminated
"	"          28	"	"       : Receive Serial link is not 8-bit Clean
"	"          28	"	"       : Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0

The modem I have is internal PCI == Zoom V90 PCI Fax Modem -they list linux
compatibility
I also made symbolic link    ln -s  dev/ttyS4  /dev/modem
It seems like the problem lies within my configuration of ppp.   Any help
would be tremendous
and thanks in advance......Lynn          Lynn at itsquick.com