[NBLUG TALK] More RH 7.0/GCC news

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Sat Oct 7 13:11:46 PDT 2000

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 09:55:53AM -0700, Dustin Mollo wrote:
> Maybe I'm just having way too much of a knee-jerk reaction to RH's latest
> release, but I'm >>extremely<< disapointed with all the news surrounding
> RH's latest release.  I'll most likely continue to use RH (though not
> 7.0..I'll wait for 7.2 along with Frank), but boy - I don't think I've seen
> this big of a screw up from RH.
>
> I agree with Rick in the relm of RH being a 'leader' in getting glibc out to
> people, but I personally wasn't afraid to installed 5.0.  I guess simply
> because I knew that was the way the world would be going.  But this GCC
> thing seems like a total goof.

The GCC thing is a bit of a goof.  Particularly with the lack of
compatibility in both directions.  Sounds like the main issue, though, is
that they didn't communicate their intentions to the GCC folks.  If they
had, it could have had a less official version number, that kind of thing.
It had to be a tough decision, though; it's not like there are *any* good
choices of what version of GCC to put in.  (It's C++ that's the issue)  I
mean, you can either ship a compiler that lacks good optimizations and
doesn't do C++ quite well enough for serious work, or you can ship a
prerelease compiler that'll probably not be binary compatible with the next
real release.

RedHat has done this kind of thing in the past.  (Release stuff that's not
really ready to be released) It seems to me that's the combination of their
new size (bigger) and a recent rash of anti-RH sentiment is helping to make
this a bigger story than it would have been before.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell