KDE and PPP

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Mon Apr 30 18:19:43 PDT 2001

Hi Greg,

while i don't have an account with Sonic nor installed Stormix, i have set
up KPPP under FreeBSD.   since you have communication with the modem and
it dials you've got most of the work done.

when you say it appears to make a connection, then i assume that you hear
the modems handshaking and that everything proceeds so that communication
is possible between your machine and Sonic.   i'm also assuming that the
connection stays up for a while but you just don't get ppp working.  if
your modem hangs up during handshaking then we've got other problems.

i think your problem is getting the login script written.  it uses "expect"
and there is a graphical interface for entering the script components, but
like all gui stuff, it doesn't tell you what you need to put in the various
boxes.

when the connection is made, sonic probably sends a login prompt.
we might expect "login:" or "Login:"    so it's probably safe to put
"ogin:" in the box and push the <expect> button.

then fill in your username and push the button to send or reply with that
string.

and again since we don't know whether they say "Password:" or "password:"
put "assword:" in the box and push the <expect> button

and finally put your password in the box and push the button to send that
back to the external host.

that should do it. (or not!  since it's hard to predict everything that
might go wrong).    but try that and let us know how it goes.

-ron

Ron Wickersham
rjw at rfo.org
Valley of the Moon Observatory Association
Ferguson Observatory Project at Sugarloaf Ridge State Park
http://rfo.org