Deja Vu all over again

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Apr 1 18:11:02 PDT 2001

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, John F. Kohler wrote:
> I did, in fact, ping the S. F. Chronicle web page www.sfgate.com (209.1.99.80) before leaving
> the house this morning:  It was doing "Destination Host Unreachable"
> when I came home with the following statistics:
> 23995 packets transmitted, 4246 packets received  +2 duplicates (?)
> +12350 errors, 82% packet loss
>
> During the same time I was pinging the router (192.168.1.1) for about the same duration:
>
> 27037 packets transmitted, 6269 packets received + 6215 errors 76% packet loss
>
> During the same time I had the linux box pinging its own address in the router:
>
> 27493 packets transmitted 27493 packets received, 0% loss
> round-trip min/avg/max/mdv = 0.032/0.063/2.893/0.040 ms

What happens when you try to perform pings to the linux box's IP address
from one of the macs using that utility you mentioned? Do they say they
are successful?

If they claim no success while the linux box claims partial success, then
there is likely a problem with how this card is being recognized by your
linux kernel. It is possibl that support for your card is not mature, or
there might be sume bugginess in the hardware to complicae things.

If the mac reports the same problem, it may also be a hardware problem or
a software problem.

You might be able to download the diskette from the "old" ethenret card
manufacturer's web site and check the IRQs used by it.

As another option, you can look into making your old ethernet card work
with an installation of RedHat and then add the "new" card and have 2
ethernet cards in your box. From there, you can at least test one and
diconnect the other one during testing.

If you have a Windows box lying around, or have windows installed
somewhere, you can try using the same card with windows. If you have the
same problems, it is likely to be a hardware issue. If there are no
problems with windws, then that would point to a problem with the way
linux is trying to talk with your NIC.

-ME