Deja Vu all over again

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 1 17:58:00 PDT 2001

ME wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, John F. Kohler wrote:
> > The new (Jameco) card is back in place, and re-seating it may have been
> > fortunate.  I have 4 terminal windows up on the GNOME desktop, all pinging the respective
> > router ports.
> > 192.168.1.1 (router)
> > 192.168.1.2 (Mac LC)
> > 192.168.1.3( iMac)
> > 192.168.1.4 (Linux box)
> > typical range of ping response for the router is 700-800 usec
> > typical range of ping response for the LC is 1.6 to 1.7 msec
> > typical range of ping response for the iMac is 700-800 usec
> > typical range of ping respons for the linus is 48-70 usec
>
> Well, then let's assume that they are reachable. Next, try to ping
> something outside your network:

I did, in fact, ping the S. F. Chronicle web page www.sfgate.com (209.1.99.80) before leaving
the house this morning:  It was doing "Destination Host Unreachable"
when I came home with the following statistics:
23995 packets transmitted, 4246 packets received  +2 duplicates (?)
+12350 errors, 82% packet loss

During the same time I was pinging the router (192.168.1.1) for about the same duration:

27037 packets transmitted, 6269 packets received + 6215 errors 76% packet loss

During the same time I had the linux box pinging its own address in the router:

27493 packets transmitted 27493 packets received, 0% loss
round-trip min/avg/max/mdv = 0.032/0.063/2.893/0.040 ms

> # ping -c 50 130.157.2.5

"Destination host unreachable"
Rebooted linux, and got the same
"Destination......"
Tried to ping the router: (192.168.1.1)
Same... "Destination....."

> Let it run for a bit, if that returns positive results then let's
> continue...

Sorry. No luck yet.  I am re-booting linux but not to hopeful.
Next time I'll boot from a power off mode. This problem seems intermittent
after some running.
John