Deja Vu all over again

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 31 19:00:52 PST 2001

ME wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, John F. Kohler wrote:
> > ME wrote:
> > for the mac LC, only the link/act comes on, never the other two.  It blinks
> > when I am making an internet query.  In the old days, same for the Linux line.
>
> So, since you have installed this new Linux, have you seen the activity
> light blinking on the linksys port that has the cable connected to the
> linux box?

Yes. The red is on steady, and the green router LED flickers in step (run upstairs)
with the green light on the NIC.  (red NIC is on steadily)

> > > If so do each
> > > link light show up for each port as "on" and does the port connected to
> > > the Linux box also show up as "on"?
> >
> > Yes.  At all times for the Linux and Mac LC.  Only for the iMac when
> > it is powered up.
>
> (Hm. We might come back to this,)
>
> > > Is there a link light on the ethernet
> > > card port on the back of your computer?
> >
> > There are 2 LED's on the NIC. The green one is labeled "t" nd the red
> > one "k" during the successful pings of 192.168.1.1 the green light
> > blinks, the red stays on steady. (interestingly, the successful pings
> > only work for a while.  Just now I sent 768 packets and 94 were
> > answered.  It seemed as if the LinkSys Router got "tired" of answering
> > after 94 and just shut off.  The linux box after reporting the
> > successful 94, started reporting "Destination Host Unreacheable."
> > Starting the ping again, did not reset anything.
>
> Often (not *all of the time*) ethernet cards that have a red light turned
> on are telling you there is a problem with the media, cable, wiring, or
> signalling. do you recall it having been red when you had an old copy of
> linux installed with working networking?

With Linux 6.2 on the old box with another NIC the router and CAT-5 cable to it worked
fine. Now, I may justifiably be accused of changing too many elements in this mix.
1)  RH 6.2 to RH 7.0
2)Pentium 200 machine to AMD k-6 machine
3) a new ethernet NIC in the new computer.
I plead guilty.  It is probably better to change **one** item at a time in a complex
system to see if something changes, not **three**

> Could you try to disconnect the ethernet cable to your linux box and then
> disconnect the ethernet cable to one of your Macs that you know works fine
> on the network, and then connect the cable that was from the mac to the
> linksys box instead to the linux bos and linksys router

Yes. I think the goal here is to determin if the trouble "moved" with the cable & router
port.  It did not.

1) the Mac LC works fine with both its "old" cable & port and with the "linux" cable and port.

2) The Linux fails with which ever cable and router port it is using.
....Wait a minute!  After a whole bunch of "Destination Host Unreachable" with the linux box on
its "old" cable and port, it just started working!   We have an intermittent
problem here...somewhere....

> . You will also
> want to keep the port used for the macintosh. (I'd like to make sure that
> there is not a problem with this port on the linksys box and the cable to
> presently attached to the linux box.)

That is correct.  both cables and router ports work with the Mac LC

> After the above is done, try testing the ping of the linksys router from
> the linux box that is using the port on the Linksys and cable once used by
> a network working  mac. You may need to reboot your Linux box for the card
> to "reset" and clear any errors when talking to the linksys router, or may
> not. It might be safer to shut down the linux box (just for testing) wen
> you switch the cables. Please note if the red light changes when using the
> other port/cable combination.

I did that. The red NIC led stays on steadily at all times.  Only the green light flickers
Right now, I am successfully pinging the router address of 192.168.1.1 with over
100 successful sequences.

> > As I am writing this, the Linux is booting, verry slowly.
> > Particularly long on the
> > "Starting lpd: "
> >  took about 5 minutes. and it normally starts in 2 seconds.
>
> Due to inability to talk with other devices on the network, or possibly
> resolve "loclahost" or other lookups.

There was some obscure message about localhost not responding before
I re-installed the7.0 system again.

> > When I finally logged at my user level, Ityped in  "startx"
> > which usually starts in 30 seconds or so.  This time a dialog box
> > came up:
> >
> > Could not look up internet address for localhost.localdomain.
> > This will preventGNOME fromworkingcorrectly.
> >
> > (continue)  or (try again)
>
> If you would like to try to eliminate this message and test x anyway, you
> can edit /etc/hosts as root and add the following:
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost loopback
>
> With the abobe added to your etc/hosts, see if GNOME starts up.
>
> The names of the errors listed above suggest that networking installation
> from your install may not have been complete, or you chose to name your
> computer "localhost" and your domain "localdomain" but I do not use GNOME
> so I am not sre itf this is the normal behavior of it instead. Howevere
> this is not necessary for our testing. This is only useful if you want to
> see GNOME.
>
> > My first impulse is to re- install the system.
> This is an option, but without an understanding of what went wrong, we may
> not be able to correct it.
>
> Did you say before that RedHad 6.x worked without any problem on this
> machine with present ethernet card for networking, but moving to RedHat 7
> now has the NIC to failing to work reliably?

Redhat 6.2 worked successfully on the Pentium but I am not sure I tried it on my
new computer (amd -k-6) I probably did not, but I am willing to do so.  After all,
6.2 served me long and well on my home network with this cable, router, and an older
ISA nic ethernet card.

> Here are some of the remaining possible problems I see:
> 1) Hardware failure in the media, linksys port, ethernet card. (Good
> chance but we can test some above)

I suspect hardware also.  A whole new computer and a recently purchased
NIC.

> 2) Bug being tickled in linux for the driver used to talk to the card
> (ood chance)

Redhat 7.0 did get some bad press, not for the kernel, or ethernet stuff
but for the "C" compiler, if I recall, and some security holes.

> 3) Network service/process or sentry that is not acting like it should
> (not so likely)

It is funny, to me, on successful pings to 192.168.1.1 some times I'll get
356 out of 427 packets (16% loss) on others:

190 packets transmitted, 1 packet received.    I would think
that the problem would remain constand, i.e., continuous 15% losses across the
board.

Here is another puzzler....Just now I pinged 192.168.1.4 ....21 packets sent and
received   100% success, 0% packet loss.

Do intermittent problems raise their ugly heads in the ethernet arena?

> 4) Installation of system has included some corrupt files, or networking
> is incomplete, or library problems, or (also not likely for most of
> these except maybe incomplete network installation.)

I am capable of screwing the most simple and straightforward installation
processes. (Incidentally I **don't** have a surge suppressor on my "new"
PC, so utility line abberations during an installation might just interfere
with the successful transfer of software from the installation CD to the hard disk.

> We can test most of "1" here. Testing 2 would require that you borrow
> another ethernet card of exact make and model which you may not have.

This could be doable.  The NIC came from Jameco, a reputable firm in Belmont
which offers 30 day exchange or refund priviliges.

> You
> can always try to examine your ethernet card physically. Is it seated in
> the slot on the motherboard all of the way?

As best I can tell, yes.

> When you inspect the
> recepticle on the ethernet card that receives the cable, do you notice all
> 8 conductors lined up in paralel with none bent or in non-symmetrical
> positions?

yes

> Does the ethernet card come with any diagnostic software to
> test media and the card?

Yes, but it requires that I boot the PC from a reliable Windows9x/DOS floppy.
The one I have now is corrupted, partly, and I can't trust it.    I can try to get another,
maybe from a neighbor, or my son  in Cotati.

> If you have this diagnostic software and can run
> it, examine the lights on the back of the card.

I did run the diagnostic software once, yesterday, successfully. I did
not notice the LED's on the back of the NIC.

> Do these lights appear
> differently during the tests?

Don't know.

> Do the tests all report passing status?