RedHat 7.2 Released

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Tue Oct 23 12:14:25 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:12:43AM -0700, E Frank Ball wrote:
> ncftp ...updates/7.2/en/os/i686 > get *.rpm
> glibc-2.2.4-19.i686.rpm:                                 5.60 MB  358.67 kB/s
> kernel-2.4.9-7.i686.rpm:                                 9.73 MB  352.39 kB/s
> kernel-enterprise-2.4.9-7.i686.rpm:                     10.08 MB  437.57 kB/s
> kernel-smp-2.4.9-7.i686.rpm:                            10.07 MB  458.79 kB/s
>
> What is an "enterprise" kernal?

Good question...

# rpm -qip kernel-enterprise-2.4.9-7.i686.rpm
Name        : kernel-enterprise            Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2.4.9                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 7                             Build Date: Thu 18 Oct 2001
10:57:24 AM PDT
Install date: (not installed)               Build Host:
stripples.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Kernel     Source RPM:
kernel-2.4.9-7.src.rpm
Size        : 26709847                         License: GPL
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : The Linux Kernel compiled with options for machines with more
than 4 Gigabyte of memory.
Description :
This package includes a kernel that has appropriate configuration options
enabled for Pentium III machines with 4 Gigabyte of memory or more.

> The first iso came in around 250kB/s, the second was a little slower.
> They have already been downloaded 3 times from my site at Agilent.

I noticed you downloading the ISOs and added the /16 you were coming from to
the "nblug" class; whenever I actually get login and bandwidth limiting
working, you'll get the larger limit.

I see 19 downloads of ISOs via ftp, one via HTTP and 4 via rsync.  Everybody
except the speakeasy user who had 8 ftp connections open at once to the same
files will get added to that class.  I'll probably add all the local ISPs,
in fact.

I really reccommend something like "rsync --partial --block-size=8192
--progress --verbose
rsync://mirror.nblug.org/mirror/redhat/7.2/en/iso/i386/* ." for grabbing big
ISO files; makes your life so much easier if things die halfway through.

> Any chance we can get an iso of the documentation CD?  I like to load
> all the HOWTOs in a text and html formats.

Just as soon as we're able to mirror it...  It's kinda slow going, but it
will make it at some point, I swear.

> I was wondering about the
> (cd /mnt/cdrom ; tar --preserve -cf - . ) | tar --preserve } -xvf - "trick",
> what does this do that cp -a doesn't?

Properly keeps dates, permissions, et cetera perfectly preserved.  Did I put
that } in there?  Doesn't belong there...  I needed the dates perfectly
correct so that mirroring would only grab updated files instead of grabbing
new of everything or failing to grab a newly updated file because ours is
newer.

> Any reason not to just mount the ISOs with -o loop and using that
> instead of doubling the disc usage by having all the files stored
> individually too?

Sometimes files down in there change and iso9660 is read-only.  (and even if
it wasn't read-only, we wouldn't want to change them unless RedHat actually
updated the ISOs)  Also, I'd have to do it via some kind of symlink thing,
since the files are in 2 ISOs but share directories.  Could be done, but
it'd be a hassle and it would make it hard to see what size file you were
downloading, etc.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell