RedHat 7.2 Released

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Tue Oct 23 13:21:03 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 12:14:25PM -0700, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
} I noticed you downloading the ISOs and added the /16 you were coming from to
} the "nblug" class; whenever I actually get login and bandwidth limiting
} working, you'll get the larger limit.

Thanks, but I think the only two IP addresses you will see from me (at
work) are:  192.25.240.24 and .25 (these are the external socks servers)
but I think Agilent does have the class B network, along with 141.121.

For home please add 209.204.172.   (that will take care of bill and I).

} > I was wondering about the
} > (cd /mnt/cdrom ; tar --preserve -cf - . ) | tar --preserve } -xvf - "trick",
} > what does this do that cp -a doesn't?
}
} Properly keeps dates, permissions, et cetera perfectly preserved.  Did I put
} that } in there?  Doesn't belong there...  I needed the dates perfectly
} correct so that mirroring would only grab updated files instead of grabbing
} new of everything or failing to grab a newly updated file because ours is
} newer.

Yes that was my }.  I still think cp -a does the same thing.

} Sometimes files down in there change and iso9660 is read-only.  (and even if
} it wasn't read-only, we wouldn't want to change them unless RedHat actually
} updated the ISOs)  Also, I'd have to do it via some kind of symlink thing,
} since the files are in 2 ISOs but share directories.  Could be done, but
} it'd be a hassle and it would make it hard to see what size file you were
} downloading, etc.

I didn't think they would change the files without changing the isos
which they don't do.  I set up my server to mount the iso to get the
filesystem and it seems to be working.  No symlinks, and I can do
directory listings and see file sizes.  /etc/fstab is a bit of a mess.

Anybody remember the command to make new /dev/ files?  I might run out
of loop devices.

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com