NBLUG Mirror Survey

Eric Eisenhart ee at eric.eisenhart.name
Mon Dec 9 10:58:11 PST 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 05:18:51PM -0800, Dustin Mollo wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:50:28AM -0800, Scott Doty wrote:
> > If you're concerned about bw from the mirror use, how about coordinating
> > something with the Sonic.net mirrors?
> >
> >   ftp://ftp.sonic.net/mirrors/
> >
> > Click on the html files for mirror information.
>
> There is no /mirrors/ directory.  Well, there is (it appears to be
> hidden)...but I get a permission denied when I try to cd to it.  I tried
> from my Sonic.net dialup.

Also that mirror site doesn't appear to do the slightly useful http protocol
or the extremely useful rsync protocol.

For files that are mirrored on both I suppose we could do some kind of HTTP
30x redirection stuff when the incoming IP is one of Sonic's...  Or put a
README in so that people are told to look there...

None of that would help with rsync access, which is the most useful way to
download large files like ISOs.  (well, when you include --block-size=8192
and --partial in the options)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore for Life