September's topic

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 5 22:39:13 PDT 2002

on Fri, Jul 05, 2002, Eric Eisenhart (eric at eisenhart.com) wrote:
> So, as I'd mentioned at a previous meeting, we're having Larry Rosen, an
> intellectual property attorney who used to teach programming at Stanford and
> is on the "Open Source Initiative" board come talk to us in September.
>
> He indicated that he can handle Q&A quite easily.
>
> We were wondering, however, if there's any more precise topics you'd be
> interested in hearing about from him.
>
> http://www.rosenlaw.com/html/lawrenceerosen.html
>
> If it looks like there's some common consensus or some specific interesting
> topic suggestions, I'll pass that on to him.

Um.

One area I've had a passing interest in is how to approach free software
issues in employment contracts, particularly WRT trade secrets, other
projects of interest, and noncompetes.

The Slashdot story about Ben Tilly this past spring is an example of
what can go wrong -- he's a perlmonks contributor who ran afoul of a
sorely misguided corporate attempt to proprietize stuff he was creating,
orthogonal to his work duties.

Peace.

   Reading is a right, not a feature
     -- Kathryn Myronuk                           http://www.freesklyarov.org