Hardening linux [howto?]

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Thu Jun 13 19:21:08 PDT 2002

Check out LIDS, http://www.lids.org

 What is LIDS

* A kernel patch and admin tool to enhance the linux kernel security
* Implementation of reference monitor in kernel
* Mandatory Access Control in the kernel
* An active project with many helpful hackers.

What are the features

* Protection of files, No one including root can modify the lids-protected
files. File can be hidden.
* Protection of process, No one including root can kill the protected
process. Process can be hidden.
* Fine-granulate Access Control with ACLs.
* Use and extend capability to control the whole system.
* Security alert from the kernel.
* Port scanner detector in kernel.

Mark