OK, time to learn how to build a server.

troy fryman at sonic.net
Mon Mar 4 19:35:29 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 04:45:06PM -0800, E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 03:16:59PM -0800, Doug Palmer wrote:
> } I've been using Linux in various distros for a long time, but always as a
> } workstation. Today I registered my first domain name and I want to set up
> } http and mail services. Which book do I start with?
>
> postfix is fast, easy, and secure.  qmail is secure, and easy if you
> have debian and bitch if you are using some other linux.  sendmail is
> insane.  I don't know much about exim.

Frank,  not sure what you mean by 'bitch'  I run production qmail
mailservers on FreeBSD and RH.  Both built from source with no problems and
require almost zero maintenance.  Also, personally, i really dig ezmlm for
mailing lists.  I *am* quite certain what you mean by 'insane' and think
you're being far too kind to sendmail :)

Doug, the best docs for qmail, apache and thttpd are all online. Once
configured, it'd probably be a good idea to relay test your mail setup with:
http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

-ta