What's an Install Fest?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Nov 9 17:51:49 PST 2002

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 05:27:58PM +0800, Shorter Rankin wrote:
> Please pardon a dumb(?) question
> from a Linux newbie. What's an
> install-fest?

It's an event, a workshop, where people bring their computers
to get help getting Linux installed and configured.

LUGOD, the Linux Users Group of Davis, out here near
Sacramento, holds them monthly.  We've got a pretty good
set of pages about Installfests and how to prepare for
them.  (Well, at least, for _ours_)

  http://www.lugod.org/if/

<snip>
> Unfortunately I have the machine
> configured to start X automagically
> on startup. Is there any way to
> change that back to a command
> line startup - or should I just
> delete everything and bring
> the laptop to an
> 'Install Fest'?

In RedHat (at least, last I saw back in 5.1 thru 7.3),
X-Window is automagically started up when Linux is
switched to 'runlevel 5.'

If you have it go to 'runlevel 3' instead, it will just
be text-based logins only (and one will need to run
"startx" to get X-Window running, once they've logged in).

Check "/etc/inittab" on your box for a line like this:

  id:5:initdefault:

and change that '5' to a '3'.

Good luck!

-bill!