gnome apps polluting kde

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Thu Oct 24 15:04:54 PDT 2002

Hi Everyone,

I installed Suse 8.1 with both Gnome and KDE. Not that I intend to run
Gnome on it, but in order to use Grip it seemed easiest to just let the
Suse installer put Gnome in.

Everything was great until I tried out "help" in Grip, then my desktop
background and icons switched to Gnome ones. The KDE taskbar remained.

Now when I start, my normal KDE desktop opens up for a second, and then
the Gnome stuff paints right on top.

Couldn't for the life of me find out where KDE stores info as to startup
apps.

Deleted the folders "~/.kde" and "~/Autostart" and now I'm back to KDE,
but without the usual defaults, just bare-bones defaults.

I'm going to repeat all this as another test user, but can anyone tell me
in what file KDE has hidden startup apps? Or do they have some
pointy-clicky app I must use to mess with it?

Of course, it would be nice if Gnome apps like Grip would behave
themselves in the first place.

Thanks,

Bob