[NBLUG/talk] apt-get repositories

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Mon Aug 11 16:31:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 04:09:45PM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> I've been using freshrpms for apt-get, but I'm wondering if there are
> more comprehensive sites out there.  Are there others I should add to my
> sources.list file to round things out?
>
> Looking at apt-get.org I see the big list, but the listed sites each
> seem to focus on some subset of packages.  Is it better to list a bunch
> of sites in my sources.list file, or just a few that hold 'everything'
> (as if that were possible...).

What version of what distro?

The main reason to list more than one repository that carries the same thing
is speed.  For instance, if there's a nearby mirror that updates slowly and
a faraway mirror that updates more often, you might list them both so that
when both have a file, you get it from the faster location, but when the
nearer one is a little lagged, you get the most recent version from the
farther away mirror.

Freshrpms does have a pretty thorough collection.  Usually you'd go for
something beyond that only if you wanted something very specific.

For instance, these might be handy for a RH9 user:

# Macromedia Flash plugin:
rpm http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/macromedia/apt/ redhat/9.0 macromedia

# Various Java packages (including jEdit and Eclipse, which are both
# interesting projects):
rpm     ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/redhat-9 free
rpm-src ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/redhat-9 free
rpm     ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/generic free non-free
rpm-src ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/generic free non-free
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Vice-President Pro Tempore