[NBLUG/talk] Wildcard Asterisk GnoPhone

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Mon Aug 18 10:06:01 PDT 2003

On 18 Aug 2003, error wrote:
> It sure would be cool to deploy a wifi aware drop box that you can clip
> on a line huh?

yeah buddy!!

> > The VPN may give you problems depending on how you setup *.  Hang out on *
> > chat #asterisk at freenode.net and join the mailing list... ask alot of
> > questions... you have ALOT to learn...  It certainly ain't free....it burns a
> > lot of time.
>
> If I have a full ppp connction, why would I have problems? If it's just
> a UDP port that I make a connection to, I don't see how it can be a
> problem.

you are transferring voice...  the codec you use will determine the
quality of the conversation.  Some are more bandwidth intensive than
others.  I think one of the * guys did a study on bandwidth usage for the
different codecs.  With the high overhead of VPN it sucks your payload/per
packet.  I am not saying it won't work.... the quality may not be
adequate.

> I imagine that I have a great deal to learn, PBX systems aren't very
> simple. Not terribly hard AFAIK but not simple either.

Well... it just isn't PBX you have to learn.. it is how phone switching
works, the different protocols, channels, codecs, hell you can even
program AGI scripts that perform special functions.  I guess it depends
how far you want to get into it how 'simple' it is.

> I am on freenet right now actually ;-)

You rebel with a cause....

> > I have use gnophone and kphone and a few other softphones with my asterisk
> > server no problem.... not the best quality though.
>
> I got gnophone to work (still really buggy), cvs is broken right now
> though, so use testing...
>
> What other softphones do you use?

Linphone, there are others.

> What hardware phones do you use?

Well, not very many, Cisco 79 series 60 and 40 seem adequate.  Some with
less features would be Budgetone and Snom.  I recently heard of a company
local to CA that is selling a limited feature SIP phone... can't remember
the name .. I posted it to * mailing list and they PooPoo'd it, I am sure
it is in the archives.  These are all IP phones, you can use analog
phones also with a channel bank.