[NBLUG/talk] Wildcard Asterisk GnoPhone

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Mon Aug 18 10:22:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Scott Doty wrote:
> BTW, we looked at deploying Asterisk for our voicemail -- but the guy with
> the most Asterisk experience in operations intimated that Asterisk "isn't
> quite ready for prime-time".
>
> Seems it works fine for SIP stuff, but when you add line cards into the mix
> (or at least, his particular type of line card), Asterisk can get into
> strange states, requiring a restart.  However, he says the frequency of the
> problem is "every couple of weeks or so", so a nightly restart may prevent
> the problem.

The vagueness of the strange state needs to be specified.  I have only
used * with cards from Digium.  Usually a configuration issue or non
fully supported hardware.  I know it works with other line cards ... but
does not fully support them.  I ran my * server in my office for voicemail
for a few months without requiring a restart - RH 7.3.  The one in Napa
was a RH 9 box which had a know problem of crashing from time to time, the
fix.... a variable was set on Asterisk startup and problem solved.  I will
see in time if the Napa solution proves stable.  They are not heavy
voicemail, mostly call forwarding, round robin call forwarding, and
information tree.

> And nevertheless, he uses Asterisk in his dorm room at UCSB for voice mail
> and call routing.  (I.e., people SIP'ping in may be forwarded to his cell
> phone or desk phone, depending on where he is.) It seems quite flexible and
> handy.

I think it is bitchin man.  Hang out on #asterisk and talk to the big
guns, jerjer and mark (spencer).