[NBLUG/talk] [rick@linuxmafia.com: (forw) Re: Looking for UNIX Sys Admins for 4 hr class]

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Fri Dec 5 12:44:00 PST 2003

Saw this, thought there might be interest...

 -Scott

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:02:06 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: baylisa at baylisa.org
Subject: (forw) Re: Looking for UNIX Sys Admins for 4 hr class

----- Forwarded message from Sheila Brady <sheila at alink.net> -----

Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:09:16 -0800
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
From: Sheila Brady <sheila at alink.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for UNIX Sys Admins for 4 hr class

[...]

And, in case you know other System Administrators who might be interested
in taking the test, here is the pitch I sent you yesterday:

We are a small research company in Palo Alto, CA by the name of Acuitus. We
are located just off the Stanford campus. We are building an educational
platform using a computer for the teaching of complex concepts and analysis
under a grant from the National Institute for Standards and Technology. As
part of our development we are building a class which trains UNIX System
Administrators in the craft of troubleshooting UNIX system problems. We are
a reputable company that has been in business doing the research and
development of this product for the past 4 years.

We are looking for students for this class. The class itself takes
approximately 4 hours. We are willing to pay $200 to each UNIX System
Administrator who is willing to take the class and allow us to observe them
and monitor their experience.

There is a short (26 question) test which has to be taken to make sure the
UNIX Administrator is at the right level of experience before we sign them
up for the class. This test has a variety of questions some of which should
be answered successfully by the prospective student and some of which
should be unanswerable. So it is very important that the prospective
student is the actual person who takes the test, without coaching from
other people, or extra study,  so that we get students at the appropriate
skill level.

We will need each student to sign a consent form saying that all
observations and results from the class are the property of Acuitus.

This work is being done according to the guidelines for the protection of
human subjects vetted by the IRB.

Would you be interested in participating in this class during the week of
12/15 - 12/19?

Please respond via e-mail or by calling (650) 833-5710.

Feel free to look at our website, www.Acuitus.com for more information
about our company.

Thanks very much, Rick.  I look forward to meeting you!

Sheila Brady
VP Operations
Acuitus
81 Encina,