[NBLUG/talk] Free printed IA32 manuals from Intel!

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Thu Feb 20 18:45:01 PST 2003

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 01:56:32PM -0800, ME wrote:
> Me too, but when I look at qty shipped vs requested, they did not ship me:
>
> Part Number: 245470-008
> Quantity Shipped: 0
> Quantity Requested: 1
>
> Maybe on back order?

I got a pleasant surprise when I got home today, a heavy box from Intel
containing:
 - Intel Pentium 4 and Intel Xeon Processor Optimization Reference Manual
 - IA-32 Intel Architecture Software Developer's Manual, Volume 2:
   Instruction Set Reference
 - IA-32 Intel Architecture Software Developer's Manual, Volume 3: System
   Programming Guid
 - Letter on good-quality uncoated(?) bond paper (Strathmore / writing 25%
   cotton)
 - Customer Satisfaction Survey
 - Packing slip listing all of the above, with ".00" for prices.

I'd guess that volume 1 is on back order.

For the curious, the letter says (on their letterhead paper, of course):

: Dear Valued Intel Customer,

: Thank you for you recent request for information on Intel's products.
: Enclosed is the information you requested.

: Additionally, you may receive material associated with your literature
: that will enhance your original request.  Material you originally
: requested may have been substituted with appropriate material or placed on
: backorder.  Backordered items are shipped, as they become available.

: For answers to technical questions, please visit http://support.intel.com.
: If you would like to place another order, please call the Information
: Center at 1-800-548-4725 or visit Intel's website at http://www.intel.com.

: Sincerely,

: Intel Information Center

(and, yes, it really does say "you for you" instead of "you for your")

I suddenly find myself motivated to move back to the Intel architecture and
away from PPC or AMD...
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore for Life