Using apt-get

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Sat Jan 4 15:30:35 PST 2003

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:51:47 -0800
E Frank Ball <frankb at efball.com> wrote:

> I only make CD#1 myself, then everything else comes off the
> net, but I have DSL.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the various "network installation"
hacks, like the one at

http://people.debian.org/~ieure/netinst/

It's a 30MB download for the installer, which will give you the
most basic of base installations. Everything else comes fresh and
piping hot off the Net. Maybe not the best choice if you've only
got 56k and you want to install X, Gnome, KDE, Open Office, and
other massive collections of apps, but if you can plug in to a
fat pipe, you're good to go. Oh, but keep in mind that /var needs
to be big enough to hold all those downloaded packages (they go
in /var/cache/apt/archives).

And also keep in mind that if you've got your package selections
all dialed in on a system and you want to clone it to another (or
do a fresh reinstall of one system), "dpkg --get-selections" and
"dpkg --set-selections" are your friends.

A.