[NBLUG/talk] [Fwd: Invalid SquirrelMail Exploit]

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Jun 23 17:12:00 PDT 2003

FYI for SM (response to accusation they were at fault for exploit)

issue with courier...

There is also a second notice that is still being researched.

-ME

Subject: Invalid SquirrelMail Exploit
From:    "Jonathan Angliss" <jon at squirrelmail.org>
Date:    Mon, June 23, 2003 13:26
To:      bugtraq at securityfocus.com
accessible via the SquirrelMail website, and criticizes
SquirrelMail to be at fault.  The details for the exploit can be seen on
the bugtraq website [1].

Fortunately it is an invalid accusation. Even minor exploration would
point the issue to the imap server itself. I'd like to draw peoples
attention to the University of Washington's IMAP FAQ page [1], it
clearly describes details on accessing /etc/passwd as detailed in the
bugtraq item that was submitted.

I'd be grateful if that portion of the ticket was revoked as invalid, as
any testing performed with other IMAP servers such as Courier-IMAP, or
Cyrus all return no mailboxes.

The file moving/deletion vulnerability would also appear to be an IMAP
dependant issue, as you cannot access arbitrary files from other IMAP
servers, as other IMAP servers don't appear to treat all files
equally.

I am currently looking into the privilege escalation 'issue' that was also
posted as part of the bug.

Please note in future that any security related issues can be posted to
any member of the SquirrelMail leadership team [2], or any of the mailing
lists.  We also have a dedicated mailing address for security alerts at
security at squirrelmail.org.

  [1] http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/7952
  [2] http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/index.html#5.1
  [3] http://www.squirrelmail.org/about.php