[NBLUG/talk] kppp fix

Jim Bianchi jimbo at sonic.net
Mon Jun 23 21:47:01 PDT 2003

	I've just discovered how to get kppp to work. Previous attempts
had resulted in the modem dialing, connecting, getting in sync, then the
connection would drop and I'd get a message saying the ppp daemon had died
unexpectedly. So I've been using a weird script I wrote long ago to dial
and exstablish a ppp connect with sonic.

	Well, I read a message in one of the redhat newsgroups that said
there was a problem with the kppp modem timing actually being in tenths of
a second and not seconds as indicated on the dialog popup, and the
solution would be to increase this figure to some (larger) value that'd
allow the ppp daemon to stick around long enough for the connection to be
established before timing out.

	This worked great! I invoked kppp and when presented with the
setip dialog, increased the modem timeout to max (I could prob get by with
less than this, but heyyy), plugged in the sonic phone number, my login
name and password, and zowie! Eet works!

	This is one of those niggling things that absolutely defy
resolution by RTFM, since the FM will just confirm that the modem timing
figure is in seconds when it's really not. Gak.

--
jimbo at sonic.net       Jim Bianchi   Santa Rosa   California

        Eclectic Garbanzo BBS ** (707) 539-1279 ** 28.8kbps

	Remember Flight 93 -- "Let's roll!"