[NBLUG/talk] locales

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Jun 30 14:02:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 01:51:39PM -0700, E Frank Ball wrote:
} I have a debian system, and I don't seem to have locales setup right.
} I've seen various error messages telling me to fix it, but I have no
} idea how:
}
} perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
} perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
} 	LANGUAGE = (unset),
} 	LC_ALL = (unset),
} 	LANG = "en_US"
}     are supported and installed on your system.
} perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

OK I found out how to set them, but what is the difference between
these, and why would I choose a particular one for the default?

  en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
  en_US.ISO-8859-15... done
  en_US.UTF-8... done

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com