[NBLUG/talk] The Advantages of Linux

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon May 5 19:57:01 PDT 2003

> Hello,
>
> I am new to this forum so I apologize ahead of time for asking a question
> to which the answer is obvious.

Welcome to NBLUG! We are glad you have chosen to write our list. :-)

> I am, at present, a windows user. I have been seriously considering for
> some time now switching to Linux and debunking microcrap's "operating
> system."

Several members use both MS Windows and Linux. Often, people will choose
to "test drive" Linux before making a complete jump to use it. It is often
(usually) possible to have Linux installed on the same machine as windows,
and then offer the user a choice on which one they wish to use at boot.

Of course, it is unlikely that you will find people on this list that
would rush to argue *for* MS. ;-)

> I know that one advantage is that Linux offers its users open source code
> but I need to understand a little better exactly how this benefits the
> user.

Though there are many ways to answer this, I will choose that of "trends"
for consumers.
1) MS has stated that MS Windows NT is too far broken to be "fixed" and
they suggest consumers just upgrade to the newer versions of the OS. They
state that the security holes that exist in NT are so fundamental, that
they cannot be repaired.

What does this mean? Especially, when you see the Windows 2000 boot screen
that says, "Based on NT technology" ? Then Windows XP is based on Windows
2000. *sigh*

With OpenSource development, the actual code used to create the product is
on display for everyone to see. If a bit of code is embarrassing *bad*
peers to the programmer can shame the coder into making it better. This
seldom happens, because the coders who make mistakes will often fix them
*very* fast once bugs are reported.

With the source to a product put on display, hackers take a crack at the
code, looking for odd behavior, or risky assumptions. Some hackers may
choose to write exploits while others may just announce the problems to
the world, or just contact the creator. With continuous review, fix,
rebuild, review, fix, rebuild, the process allows for an evolutionary
process of code development that provides the consumer with a very good
product.

Commercial developers often focus on the sale. Once you have purchased
their product, they focus on selling you the next product. By the time the
code is "mature" (read stable, and mostly free of bugs) the vendor dumps
the product and only sells the new one. (Thanks Andru :-)

> Also, is there another advantage to Linux besides it being the alternative
> to windows and the open source code?

Flavor. It is a different way of doing things. If you like command line
tools, then nearly everything your learn from the command line for Linux
now, will apply to the Linux tomorrow. Certainly, GUIs may change, but the
underlying parts will permit you to build a skillset, and as new versions
of Linux kernels come out, you will be able to apply your knowledge from
previous versions. Linux helps you to *think* while windows requires you
to memorize. (To fix a problem in windows, you often have to remember
where a special checkbox can be found buried in some control panel, or
weird registry path/name that changes with new versions of Windows.)

> Should I get Lindows instead?

That is a decision of choice based on subjective analysis. What I mean by
this, is you really need to decide that on your own. This is kind of like
asking, "Should I have vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream?" People often
sample different flavors before they settle one one. Then later, they may
decide they want to try a new flavor.

Lindows in a newer packaging of Linux that aims to try to capture the
Windows market. It is supposed to be easier to used from the GUI side of
things, but I have never played with it. If you are new, and not really
into computers, then Lindows might be  place to start.

You may also want to examine RedHat and Mandrake - both are pretty easy to
install. Some have mentioned Knoppix (sp) which I think has a bootable CD
that you can use without destroying data on your Hard Disk. (try it out
without a full install, kind of option.)

> What text
> editing applications do you use on Linux since it cannot be MsWord?

Some use OpenOffice (a MS-like look and feel based application suite.)
For just Word Processing, AbiWord is used by some.

Other people will likely have other ideas to add here.

> What
> about the use of other applications such as Macromedia Freehand,

I dont use that. Can't say.

> Flash,

There are Flash plugins for Netscape (I think) which allow you to see
client side work, but I dont know if they have Flash Development software
for Linux. Anyone?

> Fireworks, Adobe Illustrator,

The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) provides an Adobe PhotoShop-like
graphics dev space. I like it more than PhotoShop. I dont use Adobe
Illustrator or Fireworks, and dont do much PDF creation, so others may
have ideas here.

> and Excel?

OpenOffice... others?

> What browser do you use in Linux
> for surfing the net?

At the risk of be harassed by my associates: Netscape
(yeah yeah) as well as Mozilla and lynx.

> Thank you,

You're welcome. Feel free to come to our meeting. Not this Tuesday, but
the Tuesday after, we have a meeting in Sebastapol on Linux on the Sony
Playstation 2. It should be very good.

Also, we hope to have an Installfest in a few months. An Installfest is an
event where people can sign up to gain access to skilled Linux users and
help with installing a Linux system onto their computer. These often take
place at SSU, and require you to bring your computer. Greg is our
Installfest Coordinator. Keep an eye out for an announcement from him.
(These are sent to our very-low volume announcement list. We suggest you
subscribe to both the announce list and this one.)

Again, welcome to NBLUG!

-ME