[NBLUG/talk] The Advantages of Linux

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue May 6 12:08:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:00:28PM -0700, ME wrote:
> Some have mentioned Knoppix (sp) which I think has a bootable CD
> that you can use without destroying data on your Hard Disk. (try it out
> without a full install, kind of option.)

I haven't personally played with Knoppix much, but I've heard nothing but
good things about it.  I also really liked DemoLinux when I played with it
a year or so ago.  (It's the same concept: a bootable CD, rather than an
installation dics.)

If NBLUG ends up doing any 'get the word out' style events, like LUGOD does
(e.g., our ~monthly hands-on demos here in Davis), I strongly encourage you
to find an army of folks with CD burners to make copies of these.

Since Knoppix is no-commitment, people are much more willing to pop it in
and try it out than if you were handing them an install disc (e.g. RedHat).

It gives people the opportunity to sit down and play with Linux without:

  * worrying about their PC's current setup (which is probably fragile as it is)

  * dealing with what seems to be everyone's biggest COMPLAINT about Linux:
    "Wah! It's so hard to install!"
    (Ironically, when I talk to people who've actually sat down and tried to
    install Windows on a PC, they always complain it's more painful than Linux)

Another disc I highly recommend is GNU Win II.  Again, I haven't personally
used it (I don't run Windows), but I hear nothing but good things about it.

It's a compilation of popular Open Source software, but compiled for the
Windows platform.  It's a way of getting people familiar and aquainted with
great things like:

  * GPG
  * Blender
  * Mozilla
  * The Gimp
  * Dia
  * Audacity
  * OpenOffice.org
  * Abi Word
  * Gnuplot
  * Celestia
  * Octave
  * Apache
  * MySQL
  * PHP

...and tons more.  It's a way of saying two things, in my opinion:

  1. Open Source isn't just a Linux thing; everyone can benefit
  2. Open Source is good.  See?  Maybe eventually you won't need Windows at all!

;^)

<snip>
> > Fireworks, Adobe Illustrator,
>
> The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) provides an Adobe PhotoShop-like
> graphics dev space. I like it more than PhotoShop. I dont use Adobe
> Illustrator or Fireworks, and dont do much PDF creation, so others may
> have ideas here.

Don't forget Tux Paint!  ;^)  (I'm kidding)

> > and Excel?
>
> OpenOffice... others?

Gnumeric.  KSpread.  Probably many others.

-bill!
root at lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/